Ailis Tweed Kent was inspired by her patients to take different course – and now her moonshot is to change healthcare itself. A graduate of Harvard Medical School with a residency at Massachusetts General Hospital, Ailis turned to entrepreneurship to found Cocoon. There she is innovating silk therapeutics to cure osteoarthritis. We talk about opportunities for women entrepreneurs in life sciences and how to raise capital.
Women are spearheading much of the disruptive innovation in health and medicine, as new technologies offer gamechanging new treatments and cures for a wide range of diseases and ailments.
Ailis Tweed Kent is a doctor turned entrepreneur – and her big moonshot is to change the way we deliver and think about healthcare.
A graduate of Harvard Medical School with a residency at Massachusetts General Hospital, Ailis turned to entrepreneurship in 2013 because she could have a bigger, more scalable impact and curie more people than she can possibly treat one-on-one.
She founded Cocoon in 2013, and there she is innovating silk therapeutics to cure osteoarthritis. Silk, as it happens, is a unique polymer that can better deliver drugs across a wide array of diseases.
Here are some of Ailis’ tips for women in business:
- Define Your Vision and Mission: Nailing this at the start helps you find talent and investors that align with your vision and the culture you want to build.
- Keep It Steady: “The mantra I follow is to not get too high with the highs or too low with the lows – the key is to stay focused on the long-term vision. Find something that keeps you grounded.
- Inspiration and Productivity: Sometimes these come in activity and all too often though our biggest breakthroughs come when we are “just being quiet with ourselves and listening and thinking”.
- Be Authentic: Break the mold!
- Be Fearless and Take Chances: Instead of making fear a barrier, flip the coin and make it an opportunity.
- Surround Yourself with Great People: Make sure you have a friends, mentors and colleagues around you that you trust and who truly believe in you.
More at https://wingspodcast.com
Zero Limits Ventures: Valuation Enhancement and Capital Acquisition Strategies
Read the full transcript here:
More about Cocoon here: www.cocoonbiotech.com